OK, So im going to burst a few bubbles with this series of blogs on the Top 5 Unhealthy ‘Health Foods’! There are going to be some truth bombs dropped and some long held myths de-bunked.
The first point to address is WHY I actually need to do this in the first place? Why are we in the belief that these foods are healthy for us? How did we get it so wrong?
Well, its not our fault. Much of the time these are products being promoted by those with a vested interest in making us believe these things are healthy. Big business is at the heart of much of what we believe about food and most of it, as you would possibly expect, is absolute crap! On occasion, as with my number 2 food, its simply the case that we are no longer consuming the same product as we were 3 or 4 generations ago, yet we still value it as a staple to growing up big and strong.
Wait, Im kinda getting ahead of myself. Lets start at the start with my Number 1 Unhealthy “health food”.
When I was writing out my list I actually intended on keeping this for last. You know, building up for the big finish with the big shocker! Well, I’m all for big finishes but in this case I just had to get this one out first. Why? Well it’s the product that seems to have come from nowhere in the last 5-10 years and has had multiple health benefits claimed.
Seemingly able to cure everything from ingrown toe-nails to baldness! Well I’m only slightly exaggerating. It has actually been claimed the soy has benefits in lowering cholesterol, reducing risk of heart disease, and even reducing the risk of cancer!
And its just EVERYWHERE now! I go in to my local branch of Whole Foods and its row after row of Soy Milk, Soy Crisps, Soy Snack Bars, Vegetarian meat imitation products made from Soy (don’t get me started on why Vegetarians want to eat something that attempts to look and taste like meat!?!?), Soy Yogurt, Soy Cereal, and even Soy baby formula and more!
So what are the Health Impacts of consuming Soy?
– Genetically modified – Most of the processed (unfermented) soy we eat comes from a GM source. We simply do not know all of the possible health implications of consuming ANY GM products!
– Soy contains isoflavones which interfere with the enzyme that we need for T3 and T4 (Thyroid Hormone) production. Dr Kaayla T. Daniel claims to have over 40 years worth of studies that show Thyroid impairment which can lead to many problems including weight gain, malaise, loss of libido, and hair thinning. Initially thyroid may be Hyper(overactive) but after a time becomes hypo (underactive) which may explain why people initially feel great consuming soy. The other reason could be that they are using soy milk in place of pasteurized milk, which was causing some gastro-intestinal problems that have since calmed.
“A Japanese study at the Ishizuki Clinic found that just 35 mg of isoflavones per day caused thyroid suppression in healthy individuals in just three months” Dr Daniel goes on to say; “Isoflavone content varies from glass to glass to glass of soy milk, depending upon the brand, the year, the growing conditions of the crop and other factors, but the likelihood is high that a glass of soy milk contains about 45 mg.”
– Estrogen mimicking – The plan estrogens in soy can increase or decrease estrogens in women as they closely resembles the bodys own estrogens. Not identical but close enough.
– Infertility – plant estrogens interfere with human hormones (we need these for normal sexual function and reproduction. Lower the quality and motility of sperm. A Study from Harvard University states that you are more likely to have a fertility problem if eating soy just 2 times per week
– Early onset of puberty in girls (due to being over-estrogenised) when consuming soy or soy formula
– Feminising effects in young boys when consuming soy or soy formula
– Growth of breast tissue in men. Jeremy Piven (the guy from entourage) admitted publicly that he suffered breast tissue growth during a period of high soy consumption!
– Impairment of protein assimilation (does your protein shake contain soy protein??? Guess what, this is actually restricting your ability to utilize the protein in your shake!)
– Vitamins and minerals absorption is also impaired due to the phytates contained in the soy bean (this also applies to other beans too). Studies have shown a direct affect on Zinc levels which is an extremely important mineral in sexual function and prostate health. It is also important in optimal growth in children. (please see my article on Natures Miracle Supplement for instructions on how to increase your mineral intake naturally).
– Trypsin inhibitors make it hard to digest soy and therefore to gain any nutrients that are contained. High Cysteine levels in Soy are rendered unusable by the body due to the trypsin inhibitors.
– Processing of Soy involves the use of highly toxic hexane. A HUGE environmental concern especially when many vegetarians are concerned about these issues.
Is ALL Soy Bad?
– Fermented Soy products allow the turning off of the trypsin inhibitors so Traditional FERMENTED Soy Products are safe. These include Tempeh and Miso.
– The Whole Soy Story by Kayla T. Daniel
– The Weston A. Price Foundation – www.westonaprice.org
If you enjoyed this article, sign up to get email updates (its FREE).
Thank you for subscribing.